5 Day Learn to Sail Vacation – ASA 103 and 104 Combo, Basic Coastal Cruising and Bareboat Cruising Certifications
This is a 5-day/4-night private live-aboard course. You will not be sharing the accommodations on the yacht with other students who you do not know.
- Private Course 1 Student: $5395 total. A private course just for you, based on your schedule. Click here to tell us when you would like to start.
- Private Course 2 Students: $5700 total. A private course for you and someone you know, based on your schedule. Click here to tell us when you would like to start.
- Private Course 3 Students: $5995 total. A private course for you and two people who you know, based on your schedule. Click here to tell us when you would like to start.
- Private Course 4 Students: $6350 total. A private course for you and three people who you know, based on your schedule. Click here to tell us when you would like to start.
Information about the Course
In this course, you will learn to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered keelboat, by day, in moderate wind and sea conditions. Learn cruising sailboat terminology, basic boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, docking procedures, intermediate sail trim, navigation rules, basic coastal navigation, anchoring, weather, safety and seamanship.
For a full list of all 52 topics (knowledge and skills) that will be covered click below.
In this course, you will learn how to sail a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered 30′-45′ sailboat during a multi-day cruise upon inland/coastal waters in moderate/heavy winds and sea conditions. Learn about provisioning, boat systems, auxiliary engines, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation, anchoring / mooring, docking, emergency operations, weather, and more.
For a full list of all 55 topics (knowledge and skills) plus knots that will be covered click below.
Prerequisite – ASA 101
Boat utilized and description – 2017/2019 Beneteau 38.1 or 2016/2019 Beneteau 41.1
This is an attractive 38 or 41 foot sailing yacht with 3 cabins and 1 bathroom. This is a top of the line cruising model with all of the comforts and features to make learning fun and safe. Features include: Roller furling sails, dodger and bimini, anchor windlass, autopilot, radar, GPS, and color chartplotter.
Boat location – Balboa Marina, Newport Beach, CA
The boat will be docked at the Balboa Marina where our office is located. This marina has some of the best facilities and is one of the best destinations in Southern California. This is also where the boat will be docked for your overnight stay, before sailing to Catalina. Some of the features that make this a great location are:
- Ample free parking
- Bathrooms and showers
- Two great restaurants with full bars – SOL Mexican Cocina & Tavern House Kitchen and Bar
- Starbucks across the street
- Gas station and minimart across the street
- Subway across the street
- Kayak and SUP Rentals a block away – Southwind Kayak Center
- Large grocery store, 3 blocks away – Pavilions
- John Wayne (SNA) Airport, 6 miles away
- Several other great restaurants and bars within a mile
- Balboa Island within a mile
- Newport Pier and Balboa Pier within a mile and a half
- Art Museums of Laguna Beach within 10 miles
- Disneyland, 20 miles away
- Numerous hotels and resorts within just a few miles
- The famed Balboa Bay Club, where John Wayne use to hang out, less than a mile from the marina
- ASA 103 and 104 textbooks “Coastal Cruising Made Easy and Bareboat Cruising Made Easy”
- Fuel, insurance, and safety gear (including life jackets)
- High quality bedding (duvet in Fall, Winter and Spring; cotton blanket in Summer) along with fitted sheets and your choice of pillows (exact selection based on availability)
- Comfortable, upgraded mattresses. If you are going to “live” on a boat, you should be comfortable!
- Bath towel, hand towel, beach towel, and dish towels
- Fully equipped galley with refrigerator, sink, oven, stove, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, cooking utensils, glasses, cups and coffee mugs. BBQ outside in the cockpit
- Hot water in the sinks and showers. “No cold showers for this sailor, thank you very much!”
- Stereo with speakers inside the cabin and outside in the cockpit
- The boat is also stocked with 15 disposable items for your convenience. (Click here for a list)
- Cleaning and washing after your stay. It wouldn’t be a vacation if you had to clean up!